12-24 August - Ikats and ikat weaving from Kalimantan/Borneo
The Textile Research Centre (TRC Leiden) is very proud to announce a visit by craftswomen from Kalimantan/Borneo, Indonesia, between 12 and 24 August 2017. The artists come from the Sintang Regency (Kabupaten Raya), West Kalimantan. At the TRC they will mount a small exhibition of their local traditional products, and organise a series of workshops on the dyeing of the threads and the weaving of the traditional ikat cloths from their region, and give other workshops on traditional basketry weaving and cotton spinning.
• Saturday 12th, 13.00- 16.00: Workshop ikat binding and dyeing
• Sunday 13th, 13.00 – 16.00: Workshop ikat weaving
• Tuesday 15th, 12.00 – 15.00: Workshop basketry weaving
• Wednesday 16th, 14.00 – 16.00: Introducing Indonesian ikats (free)
• Thursday 17th, 12.00 – 15.00: Workshop cotton spinning
• Saturday 19th, 12.00 – 15.00: Workshop ikat binding and dyeing
• Sunday 20th, 12.00 – 15.00: Workshop ikat weaving
• Tuesday 22nd, 12.00 – 15.00: Workshop cotton spinning
• Wednesday 23rd, 12.00 – 15.00: Workshop basketry weaving
• Thursday 24th, 14.00 – 16.00: Introducing world-wide ikats (free)
Registration in advance is required. Please visit the website of the Textile Research Centre for more information on the workshops and to register. Visiting the exhibition between 12th and 24th August and the two Wednesday sessions are free of charge.