15-16 September - Asia on the Move – Cartographic Encounters between East & West. 7th International Symposium on the History of Cartography
The two-day congress Asia on the Move – Cartographic Encounters between East & West of Leiden University Libraries will be organised in cooperation with the Commission on the History of Cartography of the International Cartographic Association (ICA) and will be focusing on the Asian maps collection.
The central theme of the conference is the reciprocal influence of Western and Eastern cartographical traditions. Questions and topic which will be discussed are
- What is Asia? The arbitrarian border between Europe and Asia on the Eurasian continent.
- Eastern cartographic traditions
- Colonial cartography in Asia
- Mapping of the Dutch East Indies
- Philipp Franz von Siebold and the cartography of Japan.
The most important collections to be discussed and presented are the collections of Bodel Nijenhuis (VOC maps), KIT (colonial maps of the Dutch East Indies and contemporary maps of Asia), KITLV (colonial maps), Von Siebold (Japanese maps, catalogue of Serrurier), East Asian Library (Chinese maps).